Monday, July 11, 2005

Afrofest 2005

I was out at Afrofest yesterday and had a wonderful time. I found myself surrounded by African art, music and culture that thrilled me to no end.
When my friend and I first arrived, Allakomi was preforming on the main stage. Their lively enthusiasm was contagious and the beats they pounded out on their traditional African instruments was extremely electrifying.
There was an energized buzz in the air, as I stepped out of my usual shyness, and spoke to vendors and visitors as though they were all my brothers and sisters. And they were. And I watched as children and adults alike enjoyed the lively atmosphere of the day.
I ate fried plantain, dumplings (whose name I couldn't pronounce and now can't remember), and beef stew. I bought a traditional African outfit and danced to the lively beats of the music.
In my growing passion for Africa and its peoples and cultures, I had not known that so much of Africa was alive and living right here in my own city. But now that I know, nothing will be able to stop me from embracing it and making it all mine.

No comments: